1. The aim of this order is to outline the formation, organisation and roles of brigade headquarters.
2. The headquarters are to be known as:
a. Headquarters 1 Brigade : HQ 1 Bde. b. Headquarters 2 Brigade : HQ 2 Bde. c. Headquarters 3 Brigade : HQ 3 Bde. d. Headquarters 4 Brigade : HQ 4 Bde.
3. 1, 2 and 3 Brigade Headquarters were formed on 1 January 1964. (HQ 3 Bde was formerly HQ Salisbury Area until June 1968.).
4. Headquarters 4 Brigade was formed on 1 July 1978.
5. The roles of the brigades are to train for and be prepared to take part in the following:
a. Miltary assistance to the Civil Power.
b. Internal security operations, urban and rural (ISOPS) .
c. Counter insurgency operations (COIN ops).
d. Classical war operations
6. Brigades are responsible for the planning and execution of all types of operations in the province shown below wherever it is necessary for them to operate.
a. HQ 1 Bde. Matabeleland Police Province.
b. HQ 2 Bde Mashonaland and Salisbury Police Province.
c. HQ 3 Bde. Manicaland Police Privince.
d. HQ 4 Bde. Victoria Police Province.
7. Midlands Police Province. This is the responsibility of HQ Midlands Administration (see Formation Order No. 3).
8. Brigade headquarters are responsible for the necessary liaison with Civil Administration and Police in the provinces as detailed in paragraph 6 above.
9. The establishment for a Brigade HQ has been issued under establishment table No 10/2.